Saturday, April 17, 2010

excuse me?!

So tonight I had the most random dinner. I ate over a period of 4-5 hours. I didn't have lunch because we went for a hike. So when I got home and was done showering I made myself a small batch of nachos with chicken. Delish. But like I said, a small batch. So then I had some Laughing Cow cheese and some sourdough bread (one slice of cheese and half a slice of toast), then I had some asparagus, and finally I had some homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. And let me tell you something, this is a carrot cake! It is quite possibly the best one that I have ever tasted. And carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts. I don't have a big sweet tooth, but I do love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I figured I would share the recipe with you! You will not regret making this!



Ingredients

4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup regular apple sauce
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 1/2 medium grated carrots

1/2 cup butter, softened
12 ounces (1 1/2 packages) cream cheese, softened
4 cups pureed sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.

Ok now let me tell you a little story. I put the cake in the oven and started on the frosting. This was when I realized that we didn't have cream cheese, ummmm hello!!! you need that. So I put on my shoes and headed out to Target. Once I arrived at Target I saw a homeless man in the parking lot asking for spare change. I have always had a big heart for homeless people. I think this became even more of an issue to me when it hit closer to home and my own brother was living on the streets. I know that some people (most) choose to be where they are in some way or another. There is help out there for them if they really want it. But I still feel compelled to give them some food. So as I was shopping for my cream cheese I picked up a banana and a big lunchable for him. When I get outside I am actually excited to give it to him. This is usually a very good moment for both me and the homeless person. UGH, not tonight. Right as I am approaching him he says "oh no I don't need food, do you have any cash??" I was so taken back! I said "ummm....excuse me?" Then he says "well you have to have money, you bought me food...?" Me = "ummm yeah I have money, and yeah I bought YOU food, and YOU REFUSED it?!?! ummm, no I'm not giving you any of my money, I tried to! I bought you food..." I didn't yell, that's not what the CAPS are for, I was just emphasizing those words. I couldn't believe he refused the food I bought for him, but not only that, he had the nerve to then ask me to just give him my cash! Ugh. So much for my good deed It really hurt my feelings and put a damper on my mood. But then I had some carrot cake and just felt sorry for him. Oh well...

3 comments:

Shelly said...

You and I have yet another thing in common, CARROT CAKE! I would have an affair with carrot cake if it were possible. I love love LOVE carrot cake. It's my one and only weakness when it comes to dessert.

On another note: That homeless guy was so rude. Whenever someone asks Ted for change, he always says "No, thank you" which I thought was a strange response at first, but now I feel like I say it more often that not.

Heaven said...

This is going to be a long comment. Ok, first of all: My mom had great carrot cake at her wedding! I liked it because it had lots of texture (kind of a fiber-y carroty texture). Do you like this cake better than the Peet's carrot cake?

Also, I remember once Robert told me how he and his friends were in San Francisco, and he told me how they had a dozen doughnuts (in a box), and didn't want to carry them around (they had like 3 left) so they were giving them to a homeless guy, and the homeless guy was like "psh please..." and shooing them away. It's like...just accept it. Weird.

Yesterday, some "street man" (not sure if he was homeless or not) kept trying to get me to dial a number for him because he didn't have a phone, and I was like "no" and he kept insisting! Ok I'll have to tell you the story in detail later...

Last but not least, one time I got a free sandwich and salad from Togos. It was delicious, but I was stuffed and still had a ton of salad left. I decided to take it home, and saw a homeless man at Target, so I ran out to give it to him. He was very nice but refused, because he didn't have very many teeth, and couldn't properly chew salad! :-( I felt so bad.

Vanessa said...

Heaven, it really reminds me of the carrot cake from peets. Maybe a little less sweet, but thats a good thing to me :)