Saturday, April 3, 2010

trial and error

So last week my cousin and I went to Lush as I mentioned in the last blog and vlog posts. And if you remember I mention a conditioner sample I got called Coolaulin. Well since then I have tried this conditioner along with a conditioner that I made. I was sorely disappointed in the Coolaulin conditioner! I followed it with my conditioner because I felt like I didn't get enough moisture from the first one. And I LOVE the conditioner that I made! This was my first experience of liking my homemade product more than the Lush one! My conditioner is a coconut and pineapple conditioner. And I put fresh pineapple in it! It smells sooooo yummy! And it has coconut milk in it so its really moisturizing. This is something I see myself making again and again. And then for the past couple of days I have been really wanting some more of that lotion Sympathy For The Skin, or something like it. So I set out to make a lotion dupe of it. The first batch was so bad (scent wise. Because I accidentally got shea butter with a perfume scent to it... ugh) I didn't even try to salvage it, I threw it away. But the second batch I was being more careful about proportions and scent. I am in love with the outcome. Seriously. Sympathy For The Skin has fresh vanilla beans ground in it, fresh bananas, and some lemon oil. These are the key scents to me. So this is where I started. I mashed one banana, and ground one vanilla bean. I mixed them in a bowl with the other things needed for lotion (the butters and oils) and viola, a delicious lotion! I think it feels a bit better then the Lush one because its not as oily. So it rubs in faster. Sometimes the Lush lotions take FOREVER to rub in. And the scent is really close in my opinion. The only thing is that the smell of the lemon is stronger in mine then in theirs. I put the batch of lotion into small containers so that I can carry one in my purse at all times. I ended up with 7 containers of lotion! I am set. And the best part is that I don't have to go drop $22 at Lush for the lotion I fell in love with. I just made a better version myself :) Here is a photo of the pina colada conditioner and the vanilla-banana-lemon lotion...


4 comments:

Heaven said...

Those look DELICIOUS! Haha. But really great job! You are a smart cookie...Wow making lotion seems kind of difficult so it's impressive that you made a great one! :)

Shelly said...

You need to start your own line of "Perfectly Pampering Petite Pleasures" (or something like it) made by you. You are so creative and every time you post soaps or lotions that you have made, I always think "Gosh dang-it. She's done it again!" :)

Vanessa said...

my only concern with both the conditioner and the lotion is that since there are fresh fruits in them that they might rot after awhile. I have tried to research it, but I couldn't really find much. So I stuck the lotion in the fridge and I'm thinking about trying to put a fruit preserver in them and then repack them. We'll see.

Vanessa said...

I found a fruit fresh powder and added it to my lotion :) Hopefully it works!