Tuesday, April 6, 2010

One Day Without Shoes

I know some of you have probably already been invited to this "event", but I just felt the urge to spread the word. I plan on going barefoot this day. I feel so strongly about helping the children in this world who need help. I have been sponsoring children in third world countries for years now. It makes me feel better knowing that because of giving people these children can get clothes, school, and medical care. But not only that, there are workers from America that go over and teach whole groups of poor people how to farm, and how to start small businesses, such as weaving and basketmaking. And because of the extra donations you can make the children of the villages get birthday gifts and a community party. I think it's so important to take a part of what you receive, even when its not a lot, or when it feels like its not enough, and give it to someone who has less than you. It breaks my heart the way that some people have to live, I am taken care of so well! Anyways, I know that this "event" may seem silly. We know its not going to help the shoeless children by us not wearing shoes for a day. So please don't say that to me. The point is to raise awareness. People will notice, and sometimes ask what's going on. And that's where we can make a difference. We can educate people on the need for shoes for children and ask for their help. I don't want to be one of those preachy annoying people, I just want to share this with you, and ask for you to consider sponsoring a child with your favorite organization (I give through World Vision, and I have been very happy with them).



One Day Without Shoes, on April 8, 2010, is an effort to bring attention to the impact a simple pair of shoes can bring to a child’s life. We ask people to go the day, part of the day, or even just a few minutes, barefoot, to experience a life without shoes first-hand, and to help spread awareness.

It’s Hard Without Shoes

Through everyday encounters with domestic poverty, we are reminded to appreciate having food and shelter, but most of us all but forget about our feet. Food, shelter, AND shoes facilitate life’s fundamentals. Imagine a life without shoes; constantly aware of the ground in front of you, suffering regular cuts and scrapes, tending to infection after each walk, and enduring not only terrain, but heat and cold.

The problem is large, but the solution is simple. Wearing shoes and practicing basic hygiene can prevent both infection and disease due to unsafe roads and contaminated soil. By imagining a life barefoot, we can all contribute to the awareness of these conditions. On April 8th, communities, campuses, organizations, and individuals are banding together to walk barefoot for One Day Without Shoes.


FACTS:
* In some developing nations, children must walk for miles to school, clean water and to seek medical help.
* Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection.
* Often, children cannot attend school barefoot.
* In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.
* Podoconiosis is 100% preventable with basic foot hygiene and wearing shoes.


So that's my little rant...

2 comments:

Shelly said...

GREAT BLOG! I love events like this. It kind of reminds me of the Invisible Children event. I may join you in the shoeless-ness if I don't have to work.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update your readers about how this event turned out for you. I'm really excited/interested to hear about your experience.

Heaven said...

:) cool! I wanted to do this last year but I worked with kids and thought that it wouldn't be a good example for them, but I guess I could have gone shoe-less for at least part of the day.

So, TOMS shoes puts this on, right? You should add a link to their page so everyone knows who sponsors it and why! Because they do great work with their shoe donations, and their shoes are actually really comfy!